The WHITE Family

The WHITE Family

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Update on Tamara...

“Enjoy the peaks, but never forget the valleys, for there…in those low moments…the most important message is often taught.”

There it is on my calendar: A bright red heart highlighting July 14, 2011. No, I’m not getting married and it’s not the day I’ve finally decided to grow up and act mature. Nope, it’s something else!

For starters, it marks my brother’s birthday (Joseph) whom is one of my best friends in life, so I love sharing special occasions with him. It’s also the day I’ve finally qualified to have a new, state-of-the-start PET scan performed on my body (not to be confused with a CT Scan, X-Ray or MRI). Basically, they let animals loose to search all over your body (okay, I’m kidding, but that sounds cooler)! Anyway, a PET (positron emission tomography) scan is nuclear medicine; there are many different kinds of them, but the one I’m eligible for just arrived to the hospital, straight from NASA!

I emphasis qualified because this specific PET scan is simply not available to the average cancer patient. One must have completed two years of chemotherapy without success and THEN sit on a waiting list. Now, you can only imagine how grueling this must’ve been. “Geez, why is this taking so long?” I’d occasionally ponder. However, for the most part, I could careless because other pressing matters awaited and needed my time (Mavs playoffs, The Bachelorette and pedicures).

Until that fateful day arrived.

There I was, curled up, reading Luke the critically-acclaimed book “Bears In Underwear” – when my oncologist called with the amazing news: I, yes Tamara Metcalfe, (my doctor refuses to refer to me by my television because he says this is serious business), was accepted!

A short time later I arrived in his office! Dr. Houston Holmes was so joyful to share my acceptance, so I hugged him, screamed “Oh my gaw, how fun!” and then in my Apollo 13 voice squealed: “Houston, we have a good problem” and winked before leaving.

However, this was far from over! I was inexperienced on what this all meant, but wouldn’t dare let the doctor know I’m PET scan clueless! I’m a journalist; we know everything (duh)!

Therefore, like a top-secret spy, I quickly left and phoned the world renowned cancer researcher…Dr. Google…learning, indeed, this is a special day.

*************

All kidding aside, my family is really excited about Thursday, and I always want to share the news with all of you. So many of you have been along with me this entire journey, and it’s only fitting that I allow you to enjoy the momentous occasions, too!

The fact that I’m even free to open up and share these things is a process in itself for an extremely guarded person like me. I worked hard for my career, but suddenly found people looking at me with pity and sadness, like the ‘sickly cancer patient.’ I’d hear the whispers to my sister and mom everywhere we went: “How is she doing? Is she really okay?” Career-wise, directors and producers would ask my agent: “Is she still healthy enough to do this?” Privately, it really hurt me. Therefore, in the last few months, I quit doing interviews, chose not to provide everyone with all the details of my battle and turned down offers to blog and write about my journey. But then after watching 18-year kidnap victim Jaycee Dugard the other night, my soul was reignited when she said: “Survival is your strength, not your shame.” What a great message.

In September it will be the two-year mark since my diagnosis and one I celebrate. Although I’ve yet to reach remission, I’m extremely thankful that God has given me this platform of cancer and I live each day as if I’m perfectly healthy.

The disease is not pretty; however, it’s the best thing to ever happen to me and I mean it. Think of all the doors it’s open: for starters, I get to share my testimony of God’s unfailing love on an international platform with I Am Second. I literally get dozens of E-mails every single week from people across the country that have been recently diagnosed, watched my film and want to know how they can feel that same joy. It’s not about me. The joy only comes from the Lord and that’s when I get to share the amazing power of our Father. People can take away your happiness; however, no one can steal your joy because it comes from Above.

I also meet many survivors on a daily basis, some of them older, most of them children, whom have become like family to me. Those relationships would have never blossomed if not for this disease. Finally, my family and friends are closer than ever; we have an unmatched bond that allows us to celebrate life all throughout the year. Our conversations no longer surround petty, material things that society glorifies like money, fame and partying (except for occasional ‘Hold on Playa’ moments). Instead, we rally together, serve and just love people – year around, every single day.

My family and friends text each other about upcoming benefits or excitedly share a really touching church message that we just heard. We plan events and parties; not to go out and drink or eat dinner. We want our actions and tongues to have purpose and glorify God. Most of the time, we celebrate amazing people and stories we’ve witnessed along the way! I say this not to brag, but to also remind myself that life is much more fun when we rejoice! Live each day like you’re riding a rollercoaster, with your hands held up high, shouting at the top of your lungs as you anticipate the next turn! Enjoy the peaks, but never forget the valleys, for there…in those low moments…the most important message is often taught.

*************

Sorry, I had an Oprah moment…
anyway, back to the PET scan and why it’s vital. I’ll make it simple so you’re not bored (plus, if you’re still reading, you’re probably thinking: Geez, hurry up already)!

There are many different blood cancers: (lymphomas, leukemia, myeloma, etc). Within each blood cancer are different diseases. For instance, lymphoma: Hodgkin’s disease, Non-Hodgkin’s, etc. THEN, each disease is broken down even further. Get this...Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, alone, has 30 different types! Well, well....wouldn’t it figure, of them all...I have the incurable version (but cured in my heart)!
Dear Jesus: When I was 5 and said my biggest fear was "to be normal in life"...this isn't exactly what I had in mind. Thanks, Tam. LOL just kidding.

Doctors know (based on science) I’ll never technically go in remission; therefore, we attack my cancer to prolong my life. They know (statistically, by science) that it grows slowly and will eventually sneak up on me and attack like Japan did at Pearl Harbor. This usually happens in 0-5 years. Think of weeds in a garden; they sprout up and you spray them with poison (chemo). However, one day you come out and dadgumit, - those things got out of control and all over the yard! It’s the same concept.

So, you’re in a bind because you don’t know where you are in that time period. Some people wake up and wonder if it’s six months away or six years. This is where a PET scan comes in. CT scans look at your body as a whole and determine where the cancer has landed. Think of that scan like a helicopter surveying from above. My cancer is on both sides of my diaphragm and from head to toe. It’s also reached the bone marrow. Stay with me here…Well, A PET scan gets down on the molecular level. It gets right into a cancer cell and can look at the nuclear material inside. Some PET scans can tell you some pretty interesting things; those are the Scottie Pippens. However, my scan has some swag and doesn’t play around. It’s the Michael Jordan and Dirk Nowitizki of X-rays!

It will allow the physicians to predict when the Japanese will attack; until then, I can enjoy my days in paradise. This will give me a nice timeframe to prepare for my bone marrow transplant and upcoming treatments (I’ve already completed 20 rounds). It’s like coach coming in with a game plan - instead of going with a no-huddle offense! The days of just tossing the ball, hoping to score…are over. We don’t play. We’re going in with the West Coast Offense set scheme: short, quick passes, using all five eligible receivers, forcing tighter coverage…to annoy the defense into foolishness. Watch out cancer. We might set up you up for a short-pass or break tackle for a long gain…but don’t worry…we’re gonna gain!

Oops, sorry for the Vince Lombardi moment…moving on…

So there you have it, I’m super-excited! Granted, I have to lie still for three hours inside a machine without moving and that’s a problem in itself for a hyperactive person. However, I’m sure I’ll find a way to accomplish it, just like I figured out how to get an oil change without Dad last week.

Well, shoot, come to think of it... Mom did just provide me with some breaking news that will take up some of the daydreaming time. Apparently, The Bachelor has started a poll for the public to decide who the next bachelor should be! Eek! So excited…got lots of decisions to make inside the NASA nuclear X-ray!

Thank you for the prayers. To Mom, Dad, Tara, Joseph Justin and Lucas – you’re my world. I love you more than you'll ever know.
Holly, Stephanie, Sarah, Abby, Carly, Tracy Dodd, Erin Tracy Magers, and Kojo - My All-Pro Team. You each inspire me to never quit. I love you eternally.

Tam

No comments: